Chill Out Area : Martial Arts & Trading

Relax and chat about anything not covered elsewhere.
trader44

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:16 pm

Just to add theres certainly a difference between imagining you can use your martial arts training in a real fight and the reality of it as i found to my detriment when i was younger :lol: i think a lot of martial arts are for the internal side but not that effective in the real world unless obviously you get in first with some technique that floors them first ;) thers a lot of self proclaimed masters out there that teach people ridiculous things such as the chi masters throwing their students all over the place without actually touching them merely using the power of chi these people actually believe it works :x check some of these guys out the guy talking at the begining is the former / bouncer/ufc heavyweight champion and pancrase fighter as well as running self defence courses..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIXdxDbi008

mcgoo

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:00 pm

Kai wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:00 am
mcgoo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:29 am
Yes, Shaolin Boxing, Karate and Aikido (in 3 countries since the age of 18 on and off depending on travel and lifestyle at the time)
That's impressive, you're practically a real life ninja :o That would explain the avatar! My father and his friends were into martial arts in the 80s, wish I shared a bit of that passion but it never rubbed off on me, I've only gotten into fitness which looks like my next big passion after trading. I think you have to do a lot more than care about results in general, you have to really enjoy the journey as well :)
Very far from it Kai :D though some of Sensei's students are very impressive human beings and martial artists.
FingersCrossed wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:49 am
Yes, Mcgoo, I agree with everything you said, humility and being honest with yourself are critical. If you can't do that I don't think you can progress in either field. A true master is a joy to find, but everyone on this forum alredy knows that :D . Are you no-longer practicing your art?
Crippling arthritis stopped me but Sensei helped me with that too, to the point where I can work out and stay fit which is nothing short of miraculous according to my doctors but that's another story :) the polishing of spirit is a lifelong task (especially for me) though. I still visit Sensei every week.
trader44 wrote:
Just to add theres certainly a difference between imagining you can use your martial arts training in a real fight and the reality of it as i found to my detriment when i was younger :lol: i think a lot of martial arts are for the internal side but not that effective in the real world unless obviously you get in first with some technique that floors them first ;) thers a lot of self proclaimed masters out there that teach people ridiculous things such as the chi masters throwing their students all over the place without actually touching them merely using the power of chi these people actually believe it works :x check some of these guys out the guy talking at the begining is the former / bouncer/ufc heavyweight champion and pancrase fighter as well as running self defence courses..

Yes, hard training for a real situations is important. Mori Sensei seems to really dislike the fakers out there giving real martial artists a bad name.To be honest though, if I hadn't felt Aiki Waza I would have dismissed it as fake too. It is interesting to see people feel it for the first time and watch their world view get disrupted a little :D Some of Sensei's stories about disbelieving special forces soldiers who come for instruction (and test him out) are very funny. :lol:

FingersCrossed

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:47 am

trader44 wrote:

Thanks for the video :lol: Imagining you can do it in a real situation can be very dangerous :) The internal side of the arts is facinating, Chi, & Chi expression is a real thing, a very subtle thing. I am not defending the 'master' in the video nor am I saying his chi caused the movement of the other person - from my perspective (assuming there is a real expression of Chi) The person jumps backwards to stop falling over - the Chi is not pushing the person at that point, Chi is not causing that, it is simply a reaction to what happened a second or two before, I would also say (in the Video) there is a 'master' and a group of 'students' and I think that can work like 'The Emporers new clothes', Which student would say 'Nope, Didn't feel a thing' ? :lol: and so the (re)actions become exagerated and the outcome is most people just think it's all BS :( To paraphrase the I Ching.... The Chi that can be seen is not the real chi :lol:

FingersCrossed

Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:08 am

Crippling arthritis stopped me but Sensei helped me with that too, to the point where I can work out and stay fit which is nothing short of miraculous according to my doctors but that's another story :) the polishing of spirit is a lifelong task (especially for me) though. I still visit Sensei every week.
I'm glad to hear you are staying mobile and in touch with Sensei. and I agree that the polishing of the spirit is a lifelong task. Hope you have a great day McGoo!

mcgoo

Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:18 am

FingersCrossed wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:08 am
I'm glad to hear you are staying mobile and in touch with Sensei. and I agree that the polishing of the spirit is a lifelong task. Hope you have a great day McGoo!
Same to you mate .Cheers :)

trader44

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:39 pm

Hear what your saying fingerscrossed about chi energy and i do believe in it for health benefits .The problem comes when people think they can stop people hitting them in a real life situation by using chi energy against them which is absoloute BS :) . i think with students flinging themselves all over when the master is using his chi on them is their belief that he can do it and the power of suggestion hence they get flung all over. dont get me wrong i have so much respect for any martial artist who trains as its a lot of effort to put in.its the fakers that give it a bad name

FingersCrossed

Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:41 am

Spot on Trader44. Have a great day! :D

trader44

Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:54 pm

same to you :D

Return to “Chill Out Area”

• Information